Sign the Petition
Help Stop Illegal Fishing in Costa Rica
Stop Illegal Fishing in Costa Rica - Tuna for Ticos
Please Sign Our Petition Against Illegal Fishing in Costa Rica
It is estimated that up to 26% of tuna taken in Costa Rican territorial waters by foreign tuna purse seiners is unreported, taken illegally, never makes it to a Costa Rican port, and doesn’t benefit Costa Rica in any manner.
The tuna issue in Costa Rica is not new. A FECOP study in 2013 showed that Costa Rica tuna was being overexploited and the country was only benefiting $37 a ton from tuna captured here. FECOP presented a project “Tuna for Ticos” to President Laura Chinchilla and she signed the “tuna decree” at the tail end of her administration moving tuna seiners a total of 45 miles from the coast and protecting areas around sea mounts and Cocos Island. A total of 200,000 square kilometers of territorial was labeled for protection.
Presidency of the Republic
Legislative Assembly Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock
National Institute of Fisheries and Aquaculture
Ministry of Environment and Energy
Vice Ministry of Water and Seas
National Coast Guard Service
The situation of illegal fishing that is happening in our country is a serious problem that affects our marine resources, the national economy and that of our communities. It is for this reason that through this petition we request better controls and effective surveillance for foreign tuna fleets. Better penalization mechanisms for those who break the law of our country and exploit our resources indiscriminately. As well as support and prioritization for national fleets in the consolidation of sustainable tuna fishing in our territorial waters.
I support this request by registering my information on this petition.
FECOP – The Voice of Sport Fishing in Costa Rica
The Voice of Sport Fishing in Costa Rica. Become a FECOP Member and Supporter today!
- Stop Illegal Fishing, Sign the Petition Help FECOP Fight Illegal... 1,390 views | posted on October 18, 2018
- Pesca deportiva genera al país cerca de 500 millones de dólares al año Pesca deportiva y turís... 1,076 views | posted on March 11, 2019
- Win a 5 Night Costa Rica Fishing Trip for Two at Crocodile Bay Resort Win a Dream Costa Rica Fi... 847 views | posted on November 24, 2018
- Do I Need a Fishing License in Costa Rica? Do I Need to Purchase a F... 552 views | posted on October 4, 2018
- Sport Fishing Generates Nearly 500 Million Dollars Annually in Costa Rica Sport fishing tourism gen... 335 views | posted on March 20, 2019
- Explaining The Costa Rica Tuna Decree Costa Rica Fishing Conser... 289 views | posted on March 20, 2019
- 12 Facts About Goliath Grouper 12 Facts You Didn't Know... 288 views | posted on November 22, 2018
- Costa Rica Fishing Species – Pacific Blue Marlin FECOP Costa Rica Fishing... 281 views | posted on October 23, 2018